Monday, March 16, 2009

Literary Weekend in Tucson

We spent a great weekend attending a literary festival - The Festival of Books - at the University of Arizona. The picture at right is of J.A. Jance, a crime story writer from Arizona who gave an entertaining and informative talk at the end of the festival. She has written over 40 books.

I stayed up late last night to read one of her books, Cruel Intent, so I would have an idea about what she writes and whether or not I liked her writing before I attended her speech.

Though a graduate of the University of Arizona, she spoke about the lack of respect genre fiction gets in university English Departments. She is a great story teller, in person as well as in print.

We also heard children's authors, the writers of westerns and DIY books. The festival included booths with local literary related businesses. There was an attempt to appeal to all ages. There was also some great entertainment, including a mariachi band made up of children.

It was a beautiful weekend and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. These are the kinds of things we like to do with our spare time.

We did buy one book, a western by Johnny Boggs that he autographed for us.

This week we hope to visit Tombstone and Tubac, a village of artisans. I really like Tucson. I can understand my grandparent's attraction to this place.

No comments: