Monday, March 16, 2009

Family Connections in Tucson, Arizona

I have a personal connection to Tucson, Arizona. My maternal grandparents are buried here in Evergreen Memorial Cemetery on Miracle Mile.

The cemetery is large and since the office was closed on Sunday, I called my older sister who remembered some details about the grave sites that helped us narrow down the location.

Bill and I walked up and down, row after row, until we finally found them, together, in a shady spot. Grandpa had retired from the railroad and had the RR insignia indicating this on his plaque.

There was only the years, not the exact date of their deaths. I took some pictures and will go back again before I leave to decorate the grave sites.

Seeing their graves reminded me of the brevity of life and the importance of leaving a legacy. Though I was very young when my grandparents passed away, I have very fond memories of both of them and am glad I was able to visit their graves.

For family members reading this, their graves are located inside the gate and left at the flag pole. They are in the section to your immediate right, 15 rows from the top and number 24 and 25 from the end.

No comments: