Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dutch Oven Cooking

My first attempt at dutch oven cooking turned out pretty good. I modified a peach cake recipe from the PapaDutch website.

This is a great website for recipes to use in a dutch oven, but many of them make giant serving sizes, so I will have to modify them to feed two.

I used 1/3 cup butter, 2 eggs, 1/2 c. syrup from a large can of peaches and a small, Martha White yellow cake mix. I mixed the ingredients together and poured them into the Dutch Oven, then put the peaches on top of the cake batter.

The lid went on with about 10 hot briquettes placed on top. The dutch oven went on a rack in the hot coals and baked for about 35 minutes. The result was delicious.

Next I am going to try cooking biscuits in the dutch oven. Figuring out temperatures is pretty tricky, but this seemed to work fine. Plus, I like that the cake browns on top as well as on the bottom as a result of placing the hot coals on the lid.

No comments: