Thursday, February 12, 2009

Camping Cook Station


I really like to cook and relish the challenge of cooking outdoors and making our meals as good as what we have at home.
We have owned our camper for seven years and I have learned a few things about camp cooking, like having duplicate cooking and eating utensils and leaving one set in the camper. But, I am always trying to improve my camp kitchen and update my recipe collection.
My latest idea for making camp cooking easy and enjoyable I got from reading outdoor blogs by men who have cooking outdoors down to a science. They write about their camp cook stations, chuck boxes (or grub boxes) and cooking over coals.

This has inspired me to do several things this time around. First, I have decided to set up a camp kitchen outdoors. For this I brought a four foot foldable table and hooked up the propane stove outside. I also bought a 3 qt combination Dutch oven that has a flat top with a lip that can be used as a lid or as a skillet. I am going to try to make a dessert with the leftover coals from our lunch today.

This morning I cooked breakfast outside as the sun rose, letting the coffee brew on the table next to the outdoor electric plugs while I cooked bacon on the iron griddle and buttermilk pancakes. We spread a plastic table cloth on the picnic table and breakfast was ready in no time.
Who needs a camper with a spacious kitchen when you can use all of outdoors?

No comments: